Pages

Thursday 4 September 2014

The Countdown has started...

Now it's only 12 days left. A few days ago, I wanted to use this as an opportunity to write a post about preparations: What should you organise, if you're moving to another country for a year?


But then I realized that there are a lot of things I didn't even think about. Of course I considered which mobile tariff or bank account I should take. But when it came to the place of residence, one question lead to another and soon I was lost. If I quit my place of residence in Germany, I am no longer health insured. But what does the student insurance at Solent cover? Where do I insure my beloved scooter?

After some mental stress, I eventually decided to just leave everything like it is. I'm having enough fuss with my move.

But I can tell you everything I have actually organised yet.

Uni

If you've not chosen future uni yet, maybe the website Mastersportal can help you decide. The application process differs from uni to uni. But usually, you need a personal statement, some references from lecturers and, of course, your Bachelor certificate or grades. As for me, there weren't any deadlines, but I heard that some unis choose according to "first come, first serve", so the sooner, the better. 

I sent my application in march, and already 3 weeks later I received the so-called "conditional offer". After handing in my Bachelor certificate, I got another letter with my unconditional offer (as I met the expectations for the course). Together with the conditional offer, you get a form of acceptance which you have to send back in order to take your reserved place.

After accepting the offer, I only got one more letter telling you the date of your welcome meeting (mine is on 17th, I'll report!). Everything else works via e-mail/online, which is pretty modern compared to my ex-uni...
Sometimes it doesn't work 100% (when the online registration opened, the system crashed), but eventually it worked, I registered online for my course (enrolment is during Freshers week) and now I am able to pay my tuition fees via pay-to-study, which is a good option to avoid international bank transfer fees.

Accommodation

I applied for a room in student halls (in April) as I have never lived in halls before and wanted to try this. While waiting for the acceptance (until August!), I checked out some private accommodation (via Spareroom.co.uk, which is roughly the British version of WG gesucht). 

I noticed one thing which is driving me crazy: You're never told the room size! You measure a place by the bedrooms (like I care about how many bedrooms a house has!). After replying to some offers (to which I almost never got an answer due to the fact that I am not able to come to a viewing), I gave up and just waited for my acceptance from student halls. All in all, it seems to be a bit more expensive there, but basically you know what you get, the halls are perfectly central and with an extended contract (you could choose between standard and extended, extended goes until middle of August) it is even cheaper. 

Last but not least, I received my acceptance: I am going to live in Emily Davies (who was an English feminist fighting for women's rights to attend university). After also accepting this offer, you need to complete an online induction which tells you for example that they're testing the fire alarms in halls every Friday at 10:30 A.M. EVERY FRIDAY! This is just insane!



To be honest, this is not very much of organisation. But i joined quite a few Facebook groups and checked out the societies and sport clubs. I think everything else will be sorted out at my arrival in Soton (which is already in 5 days!!). Until then, I will need to pack a lot and clear my flat...

I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment