Pages

Tuesday 17 February 2015

How Twitter can ruin your life: Public Shaming 3.0

Last week, I stumbled across this article from the NY Times: "How one stupid Tweet blew up Justine Sacco's Life" and I read it with curiosity, as this topic has bothered me for quite a time.

If you don't know who Justine Sacco is: She was senior director of corporate communications (was...) at IAC at the time she tweeted this:


If she had realised that this tweet would destroy her life, she'd probably thought twice (Read the full story here). 

Some time ago, I found a (German) website that showed the full names and Facebook profile pictures of people along with their racist and nazi posts. Like, really bad posts that have got little to do with freedom of speech and reminded me more of Germany 70 years ago... When I discovered that website, I thought it was amazing and laughed at it. I mean, if people are stupid enough to post stuff like that publicly - why shouldn't they be shamed publicly?

But it seems like things got out of hand considering the Justine Sacco issue. The internet has simplified communications, true. That goes for good as well as for bad communications. One inconsiderate comment can turn into an avalanche that covers you with the world's hate. I mean, it was nothing more than a tweet! 

People have always been saying stupid things. With the help of the web 3.0, the whole world can know (if it's only stupid enough...). Somehow, now the world seems to be really keen on seeing someone being completely destroyed. Do people really deserve this?

On the other hand, shouldn't you be aware that public expression of opinion could bring you opposing views? The thing is that it is mostly not opposing views. What happens here is a communal power dispensing "justice" upon those who did wrong. There are Twitter accounts, Tumblr pages or Facebook sites about Public Shaming. People shame others to make themselves feel good, superior. It's got nothing to do with justice!

I myself will regard public shaming very critically, because often, single statements are taken out of context. What about you? Public Shaming - Yay or Nay?

No comments:

Post a Comment