Pages

Monday 7 March 2016

FriedaGoesDotcom aka. How to boost your employability

I am a .com! 

You can find me now on www.FriedaGoesPR.com!

Source: www.reactiongifs.com

However, I am well aware that this is probably not worth a whole blog post, so I am also writing about how you can boost your employability.

I have always been quite lucky when it comes to getting jobs. The fact that, after six months after graduation, I am still not employed is due to some serious travelling (check out my previous post about what you can learn from travelling) and...well, that's a long story. 

So what can you do to find a job? I have to say that I love working in this industry because you can be so creative with your job application!

Corporate Identity

First things first. If you want to incorporate several ways of applying, you should think about a corporate identity first. Do you have a favourite colour/shape or are you even knowledgable enough to create your own logo? Perfect! If not, it's a perfect excuse to gain new skills!

Business Cards

During my Masters programme, I took the opportunity to go to different networking or other PR events and generously handed out my business cards. Everyone I talked to was - positively - surprised that I, as a student, had business cards.
You don't have to be an Illustrator or InDesign Pro to create a good business card (although it does help). I designed my own business card on VistaPrint with a design template.



Résumé

For one of our assignments at uni we had to create a professional profile. I really enjoyed this and in the process produced a résumé in form of a small brochure. Another benefit of doing this was that I taught myself (and also got taught by my skilled friend Susanna) how to use Adobe InDesign. Again, I handed out the brochure to a couple of people I met at an event (particularly to that one PR Agency director I admire) and, guess what, they liked it!

Front Page of my brochure

Homepage

This is my latest clue. I thought that nowadays people (who consider hiring you) want to have quick access to all information about you. What's easier than a homepage? So I spent the last week to create one. Although you can use helpful tools (I used wix.com), it turned out to be more complicated than I thought it would be; especially from the content and the SEO perspective. Well, I am still figuring out how SEO and SEM works. The plus side of this is I get to learn new skills.

Landing page of www.FriedaGoesPR.com

So all this stuff will hopefully help me to get a job. How do you like my new homepage? Do you have other creative ways to apply for a job? Let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment