Pages

Monday 4 July 2016

How a post-referendum Britain feels like for a German expat

After getting asked what it's like to live in a Post-Referendum Britain by my German friends and family, I decided to write a blog post about it. It will probably not tell you anything new about politics, I just want to express my views and feelings about the country that I live in, that I, however, to not recognise anymore.

Two weeks ago, I stayed awake half of the night, taking in the incoming results, celebrating every Remainer and mourning every Leaver. At some point, I fell asleep (around 2:30 am) and woke up about two hours later to a very frightening trend. Leave was ahead, had been almost all night. It continued like that and it became clear that Britain just voted for a Brexit.
Source: www.spectator.co.uk


I was sitting in bed. Stunned. Disappointed. Angry. Sad. Everything at once. Britain was waking up to a changed country. All my friends (almost) were as shocked as I was. I feel the desperation again as I write these lines.

You see, it is not about a work visa. Legally, nothing is changing for us expats at the moment. Britain has not left the EU (yet). The thing that bothers me most is that Britain is not the country I fell in love with anymore. The referendum has shown that it is not the open-minded, tolerant and culturally diverse country I thought it was.

It's a very difficult feeling to express because I know that at least 48% of this country are open-minded, tolerant and culturally diverse. Most of my friends voted Remain for all the right reasons, a couple voted leave for - I believe - all the wrong reasons. I won't get started with the lies and deceptions of the Leave campaign.

If someone tells me they voted leave, but it's not personal and they are not against immigrants, I can't help but (manically) laugh. Of course it's personal! You knowingly decided my future! I just can't understand how people who have immigrant friends could vote leave with a good conscience.

You see I am taking this vote very personal. I just can't help it! This vote has (probably) decided my future. It has shown me a frightening trend in world politics, that populists are getting stronger on the ground of lies and deceptions.

Nationalism is on the rise. The referendum has opened the door to a more open racism that is allegedly socially accepted. While before 23rd June I wouldn't have thought twice about speaking German in public, I am now always aware of how (if?) people look at me. So are my non-English friends. Luckily, we have not been a target of racist attacks or hostility, but I have heard of them. It frightens me.

The good thing is that I am flexible. I am not bound to Britain. If things get dirty, I will leave. I have heard from many that will as well. I will not go through the efforts of getting a work permit because it makes me feel not appreciated.

I am a EU citizen, there will be at least 27 alternatives for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment